Workers’ Compensation is an insurance program that was put into effect to protect workers who are injured. This program provides beneficial wage replacement benefits, along with medical care. Because filing for benefits is not always an easy process, individuals need to be aware of the workers’ comp law in Granite City, IL.
What Should Workers Know About the Law?
There are a few critical pieces of information injured workers need to be aware of when they are attempting to file for workers’ compensation benefits. The following is some of the most critical information injured workers should be made aware of.
* An injured worker has 45 days to inform their employer of their injury. Waiting too long will forfeit the injured worker’s rights to receive workers’ compensation benefits.
* There is a three-year time limit imposed on workers who need to file a claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission.
* Employers must report their employee’s injury to the Commission once the employee has missed over three days of work due to the work-related injury.
* Employers with one or more employees are required to post their notice of Workers’ Compensation Benefits.
Informing the employer is one of the most important responsibilities an injured worker has, along with attending all scheduled appointments with the company doctor.
What Benefits Are Available for the Program?
Knowing the benefits that are available for injured workers is essential. Having an understanding of these benefits allows workers to protect their rights and ensure they are being given all of the benefits they deserve.
* Medical care benefits are given for reasonable treatment of the work-related injury.
* Temporary total disability pays a worker wage benefits for a specific period.
* Temporary partial disability pays partial benefits when an injured worker is on light duty.
* Permanent total disability compensates employees that are no longer able to work in any capacity.
* Death benefits are available to the family members of those who have been killed as a result of a work-related illness or injury.
To learn more about workers’ compensation laws and how an attorney can help injured workers, visit our website. Call the office today to schedule a consultation appointment.
Be the first to like.